Here's the Thing: Strange Excitement

Posted by Picasa
The FedEx truck driver stopped by and made a delivery this morning.
I received my MS "drug therapy" in the mail today; a three month supply to be taken subcutaneously (as an injection) every other day. I'm not sure why I get excited as if I'd received a Christmas surprise package at my door, but I do! One of the things I remember my neurologist saying on the day I was diagnosed after I asked him if I had to use any kind of drug is, "I've been a neurologist a long time and before the drug therapies came out we treated the symptoms with steroids, then we treated the side-effects of the steroids with other drugs. It was a vicious cycle. So, no, you don't have to take any of the drug therapies, but I've seen the effects of not doing anything, and I've seen the effects of taking them and I suggest we do something."
After much turmoil and many tears, I opted for a drug therapy which cost us almost $10,000 (a credit card panic) in one year and the results were not worth a dollar! I then changed to a different injectable, was able to receive some financial assistance through a Foundation and though I'm not running any marathons (and MS is an unpredictable disease) I am feeling much better about therapy choice. So yeah, it's a blessing to get my 3 month supply of drugs through a FedEx delivery. I'm thankful in a strange excited way!
Side Note: MS may not be my favorite subject, but it is a reality and I've experienced God's grace and a thankfulness (not perfectly constant thankfulness, mind you) through this disappointing and frustrating disease. I continue to fall upon His mercy!
Side Note II: Did you know that Cast Away is one of my favorite films? I wonder how Chuck Noland, the character played by Tom Hanks, would have used a box of 42 injections if that FedEx box had washed to shore on his island. Do you ever wonder stuff like that?

Comments

TAB said…
Well, if it keeps you at least walking then, yes, it is an exciting moment when you receive your Betaseron at your door. Man, what would your days be like without it?
LivG said…
I am so glad everything worked out and you were able to get your "drugs"! What a blessing!
zz said…
I can kind of understand that strange excitement. There was a short time after Joel's birth when I couldn't walk unaided, so when my mom said she'd be bringng over a walker, I was excited in a way I would've previously thought strange. Another day, as a result of the same traumatic birth, I opened the front door to see a large package from my sister. She had sent me a fullbody, heated massage mat to use during those cold achey nights (ie daily therapy).

You are indeed a model of joy and grace in the midst of such a horrid disease. I don't know if I'd go so long in between posting about my woes.
Anonymous said…
Hi Laurie,
Thankful for YOU!
Love ya,
Carolyn
Chris said…
My husband gets his anti-rejection medicines in FedEx boxes every three months, too, so we also have seasonal Christmas excitement here.

The effects of the meds, though, serious, are certainly preferable to the results of not having them. We can identify with that.

The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
"The LORD is my portion," says my soul,
"therefore I will hope in him."
Lamentations 8:22-24

Yes, I wonder stuff, too. That's an interesting question...
Laurie said…
Chris,
I know you and Bill can relate! Ugh.
Press on!
Thank you for the encouraging scripture!
Laurie said…
Carolyn-
I'm thankful for YOU too!
Love ya!

Popular Posts