"Well I realize that falling down ain't graceful...

But I thank the Lord that falling's full of grace. Last evening we were at some friends and as I stood up to walk across the room, I got my toe caught under the area rug, lost my balance and fell down. Not just a silly little stumble thing! I mean I really fell down! It was a soft landing, but I was embarrassed! The kids came from downstairs to see what was the matter! We were having some stormy weather at the time, so I suppose they thought the thunder was getting more severe! Last week I was in a dressing room at one of my favorite stores, Goodwill, and as I was sitting down, I apparently misjudged my placement. I lost my balance and fell over until my fall was broken by hitting my side on another chair! Not only was it clumsy and awkward, but it hurt! I have an interesting and sprawling bruise formation on my side as a reminder! I was alone in the dressing room, feeling hurt and miffed. I sat on the floor fighting back tears and knowing if I let them fall it may be difficult to stop, so I got myself up, gave Goodwill a few more dollars and got out of that store!
Falling in the privacy of a dressing room is no big deal, unless one can't get up, but falling in the home of dear friends like an after dinner exhibition?! Humility!
As I experience symptoms of MS, it is always opportunity for humility. I don't like it and I'd gladly get rid of the burden if I could, but since it seems to be stuck here, I will by God's grace keep clinging to these verses and trusting God to keep me running ... and chasing after Him, not with lithe legs, but hopefully with a fervent heart. Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. 1Cor. 9:24 And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Now to our God and Father be the glory forever and ever. Amen. Philippians 4: 19,20

Comments

LivG said…
Oh mom, I am so sorry you fell again and especially in front of friends this time. I know it hurts in more ways than physical. I've always loved those verses and I love that song. I also love you and I am so sorry that you have to go through this, but I also admire your strength!
TAB said…
Oh, I'm so sorry you fell in Goodwill! I'm glad you were in privacy but oh how that had to hurt! I am teary just thinking about it.
You are amazing in the strenth department. I would be so angry all the time. The Lord has been graceful even in this hard disease.
Anonymous said…
My grandaughters have said it all. We love you and wish we could take the pain away. As a mother, we can never understand why anything has to happen to our children, we would gladly take their pain, but life doen't work that way. We have all been inspired by the way you have handeled this darn MS. Loving you, Mom B.
Anonymous said…
Laurie,
I am so emotional these days and I am so sorry that you fell. I am thankful you are ok....we both continue to work on our pride...

life is so rough on us....
love you so much.
Carolyn
Laurie said…
Carolyn-
Thank you for commenting! Maybe it's my pride!, but it means a lot!
Life is rough and bumpy and sometimes it does seem "brutal",
But I'm convinced that nothing can seperate us from the love of God through Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:? toward the end of the chapter!)
Hang in there, babe!
Love ya!
zz said…
Ouch! I am really sorry. I am such a wimp about falling, and it hurts far worse when it's "on stage" like that. Your family is so encouraged by you and encouraging toward you. Pricelss!

Oh, and it's Rom. 8:39. I know by heart cuz it's my favorite verse !
Laurie said…
Zoanna,
Thanks for the Romans reference! I should get that memorized since I refer to it often! It's probably one of my faves too! Thank you for kind words. "On stage" is just how it feels sometimes, but like I missed the cue or came out before my turn!
Laurie said…
Mom, I lnow what you mean about hurting for our children and taking away the pain! You are an inspiration to me in so many ways!
Laurie said…
Tab, my treasure-
Remember how we used to take the kids and go!! Christine would hold one twin (or take a hand), I'd put another one in the cart or if there wasn't a cart, hold a twin or hold a hand and you'd have Nay Nay in her seat on your hip and you'd say, "Here Mom." You'd offer your arm, press tight and away we'd go, and this was just to get from parking lot to store!! We were quite the production!

By the way I thought of another kid-ism! Remember Naomi saying, "I fall dowm"? She's fall and get up, shake herself off and say (with an 'm' at the end of 'down',) "I fall dowm" unless she was hurt, then she'd say, "I fall dowm, Mommy!"

And you know I deal with anger sometimes!!
Laurie said…
Liv, my treasure-
Remember the song we sang at Cov. (I think in praise band together, which was fun)
"My strength is in you, Lord (repeat 3x) then; In You! It's in you!" Oh yeah, this is true!
Thanks for encouraging me. As you know, I'm constantly trying to live with my new normal and get frustrated (and emotional) when the hills become mountains, but thank you for being patient and loving!
Anonymous said…
Ah, Sweet Laurie Lynn, you know you've got friends who love you no matter how embarassing life's moments can be at times! You truely are an inspiration to me and my family in how you continue to dig for treasure in God's word, tuck those treasures in your heart and press on!! You're in our prayers daily!
We love you, dear sister!!
JE

Popular Posts