Near the Smoky Hill River that Runs through South of Town

complete with Kansas bridge graffiti which makes it awkward when young readers are trying to sound out words. What do we say when the young readers ask about the words? Yet I gotta know. Do we go to the river bank or not!?


And of course we do go to the river. Through these trees across from a trailer park that has trash strewn down the steep bank, we're stopped by the sound of wind chimes ringing low notes caught by the breeze sweetly singing over the trash. 
We spot the windchimes above the trash and the scene becomes a sort of auditory visual paradox.

 
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Anonymous said…
No matter how many times I see the "F" word I am offended. :(
Laurie said…
My point exactly. The graffiti and trash in stark contrast to the beauty of the breeze, the sun, majestic trees and wind chimes and the very gift of the day. It somehow reminded me of my heart in its own ugliness... in contrast to God's gift of new life in Christ, my Advocate.
TAB said…
I totally got it. I knew where you were coming from and what you were saying.
Chris said…
Yes, go there anyway. We don't always want to deal with it, but if it does come up, perhaps it is an opportunity to talk about that contrast with the little ones. I know it's not exactly the same, but I still remember the first time Malachi saw a bird with a fish in it's mouth in a picture book. "Why is the bird doing that?" he asked, confused. I had to explain that before Adam and Even sinned, animals didn't eat each other...

That contrast, I also felt this way on a beautiful late summer afternoon crossing the south bridge over the Susquehanna River. It had never been so beautiful. And as I continued to look down the river, there were the towers of Three Mile Island Nuclear plant spoiling the scene.
Laurie said…
Chris- That's what I'm talkin' about!
Thanks for your thoughts!

Popular Posts