"Mild, Wild and Beguiled"

I'm "amped" for Autumn!
Though "amped" is not a word I normally use, it's a good description for the way I feel about Autumn's "mild, wild and beguiling" beauty!
"Mild, Wild and Beguiled" are words Robert Frost uses in the poem, October.
I found this book
at a thrift shop. It is lovely for the poems and for the illustrations by Henri Sorensen.
Poetry for Young People by Robert Frost

I wonder at the thought of reading these poems as a young person.
I wonder how young a person must be to listen and hear.
I wonder if I am young enough, because I'm just beginning to hear.

I wonder about reading these to some young people in my life.
Then I wonder about reading poems. This takes practice.
And it takes listening and hearing which takes practice and it seems to me that this collection of Robert Frost's poetry is a nice place to read, listen, hear and practice.


October

O hushed October morning mild,
Thy leaves have ripened to the fall;
Tomorrow's wind, if it be wild,
Should waste them all.
The crows above the forest call;
Tomorrow they may form and go.
O hushed October morning mild,
Begin the hours of this day slow.
Make the day seem to us less brief.
Hearts not averse to being beguiled,
Beguile us in the way you know.
Release one leaf at break of day;
At noon release another leaf;
One from our trees, one far away.
Retard the sun with gentle mist;
Enchant the land with amethyst.
Slow, slow!
For the grapes' sake, if they were all,
Whose leaves already are burnt with frost,
Whose clustered fruit must else be lost--
For the grapes' sake along the wall.

Comments

Popular Posts