A Foundation that cannot fail - Augustus Toplady

Rock of Ages, cleft for me! Let me hide myself in Thee!


Augustus Toplady, was the author of the hymn "Rock of Ages"
In his farewell sermon at Blagdon he said:

"If God were to justify and save only those who are pure and upright, heaven would be empty of inhabitants. I say not this to encourage sin; but to encourage those who are grieved for their sins; who fly to the blood of the Cross for pardon, and whose prayer is that they may henceforward be renewed in the spirit of their mind and bring forth acceptable fruit unto God. Let not such be afraid to meet Him: let not such say, "How shall I stand when He appears?" For such have a Foundation to stand upon, a Foundation that cannot fail, even Jesus, the Mediator and Surety of the covenant, Christ, the Rock of Ages. He died for such. Their sins which lay like an unsurmountable impediment, or stood like a vast partition wall, and blocked up the passage to eternal life; I say He took the sins of His penitent people out of the way, nailing them to His Cross."

(Gleaned from Reformation Theology Quotes)

Comments

Rachelle said…
Oh my, can you imagine relying on our ability to be 'good enough' to entice God to forgive us? I know my sinful heart and it would never be good enough.That is what makes His sovereignty so beautiful; that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.

Good stuff! Thank you.
Laurie, thank you for sharing the Good Word.
I sang along with Chris Rice - it was just the reminding that I needed before I leave the house today.
Thanks!
TAB said…
Love, love, LOVE that song! Totally second what Rachelle said. Beautiful words.
Laurel said…
Wonderful song, wonderful rendition. Praise God for His grace!!
Unworthily,
Laurel

Popular Posts