Fascination

"Fascination" is possibly a strong word for this shell of a house, but when I see this old homestead, I imagine a home, a family, sweat of a brow, hard work, heat of the summer, relief of the autumn, simple pleasures, a mother's labor pains, a nursing baby, a father's vision, the joy of children laughing and playing contentedly without cars, computers or text messaging and I imagine all the hopes, tears, prayers and stories I'll never know.
Can you enlarge the photo by clicking on it to get a better view then click the "back arrow" to return?

Mike and I drove out again to take a fresh look at the possible work involved, but it was too muddy to drive through the field. This photo is from the roadside.

Posted by Picasa

Comments

Jill said…
Hmmm, I must say, there is something most interesting-looking about that house that could make ones' mind wonder what happened there years ago!! Sounds like Mike is thinking twice about working on it?? Fun stuff!!
Laurie said…
Jill- It looks a bit daunting as a work project doesn't it!?
Mike needed to re-evaluate some things, but it was too muddy to get a closer look... I just don't know! I love the idea and vision, if the funding comes through, but it's no small task (funding or work!)
LivG said…
It is neat! A lot of work though. What would it have been like to live in such "simpler" times? Simple seems like a bit of a controversial word when I think of all the modern conveniences of today. Work was not so simple back then.
Laurie said…
So true, Liv.
I guess it seems like it was simpler then because it seems there were less distractions and less time to be distracted since the work was more intense or (was the work more important/critical?)
Folks couldn't "fall back" or depend on conveniences like we do today is one thought.
TAB said…
Loved this post! Almost melancholy but also joyous. Oh, to go back in time. Just to gain a new appreciation for all we have now. Beautiful picture, too.
Laurie said…
Yeah, I think a bit of my melancholy seems to be showing up in my posts, but sometimes that is what pushes us forward and keeps us pressing on! Oh may we have a "bigger picture view" so we can keep things more in perspective!

Popular Posts