Choice of Diseases

Maybe I was a morose child, but I remember playing a game called something like: "Choice of Infirmities". The players would entertain a series of questions: "Would you rather be deaf, blind or paralyzed?" The game could be magnified by combining infirmities or even adding to them. Say, blind and one-legged! Or we played with a symbolic "ace up our sleeves" that if pulled out at just the right time would "win the game" granting us our own choice of "none of the above infirmities"! Have you ever played that game? Ha! What a game! What an asinine game! To think we are omniscient to make a wise choice! I'm done playing! Or am I? There is always temptation to believe we might know something He doesn't know that He should consider before He allows anything we don't like into our lives! I remembered the game we used to play after I read this poem called, "Choice of Diseases". 

Choice of Diseases 
Now that I'm sick I have all this time to contemplate the meaning of the universe, 
Father said, I understand why I never did it before. 
Nothing looks good from a prone position. 
You have to walk around to appreciate things. 
Once I get better I don't intend to get sick for a while. 
But if I do I hope I get one of those diseases you can walk around with. 
Hal Sirowitz (gleaned from the Writer's Almanac by Garrison Keillor )

I think this concludes the MS portion of this blog for awhile! I never forget I have a disease, and though I try not to dwell there, sometimes it tries to define me. However all I am and all my definition comes from my Lord's transforming power! My goal is to cast all my cares upon Him and learn contentment in Him. To me that doesn't mean "living in a bubble" and always proclaiming "Everything's fine!" when everything is not fine. I'm learning to trust Him more and I hope I'm getting a taste for "counting trials all joy" so I can savor His graces. James 1:2-4, Romans 12:1-2, Philippians 3:20- 21

Comments

TAB said…
Interesting game.
You are amazing to me. I always say, if I had MS I'd probably be angry all the time. But, with the Lord's strength, I know that he can save you from the anger. So blessed by your leaning on the Lord.
Laurie said…
Hmmmm. "Angry all the time" is a place I've been, and only by His grace am I'm learning to flee.
Laurel said…
Thank you so much for sharing this, Laurie. Until your last post, I wasn't even aware of the MS. It is encouraging to me to see God's grace in your life through this. Praise Him! And thank you again for sharing.
Anonymous said…
LAURIE

i am so proud of you!you are an inspiration to all

love dad
Laurie said…
Laurel-
It's not something I "advertise", but it is a reality that I can't quite ignore, though I would if I could!

Dad- Aww. You make me feel so loved! I love you Dad!
Your,
Laurie Lynn

Popular Posts