Here's The Thing

It’s only the beginning of February and I’m already pining for spring. Last week brought warm temperatures of 64 degrees. Where I live, 64 degrees in February is a teaser and is fuel for the imagination as I look forward to spring. Imagination can take a break when it’s that warm. This week is colder, but the reality of the cold has taken awhile to catch up to me! This afternoon I made a cup of hot tea and decided to go out onto the patio to drink it. I wanted to look at our sleepy dormant little garden surrounding the patio, dream of spring green, and make plans for when the earth’s dirt is warm again. I watched the birds at the feeder which Mike so graciously fills for our feathered friends. As my hands got colder even as I clasped them around my steaming cup of tea, the fact of cold dormancy settled in. I decided to go inside and build a fire in our fireplace. For everything there is a season. This season of cold is also a season of longing, waiting and remembering. It’s a season of patience, and endurance, while waiting for change; early green, thaw and then the warmth and scents of spring. For now I content myself on inside warmth and wait with the hope that keeps me longing for what I know is to come. There will be green again. There will be pinks, yellows, oranges, reds and lilacs; a feast for the eyes and all the senses. The elation is easy to recall…and I wonder, shouldn’t my sure hope of heaven where my Lord is, reflect even more desire and longing? Romans 8:24 For in hope we have been saved, but hope that is seen is not hope; for who hopes for what he already sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's a beautiful verse for today.
I'm looking forward to the flowers, too:)
Caryn said…
What a beautiful post and reminder of hope on things to come.

Popular Posts