Broken Soil of My Heart

Today we took our daughter, Tabitha, and her three darling children to the airport so they could make the move from just about 12 blocks from our house in Kansas… to Florida. Oh how I will (already do) miss them. I was reminded of these words from Ecclesiastes on our drive home from the airport. There is a time for everything.
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
a time to tear, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace...
I’m glad for Tab in this “time to plant”, but I’m so sad the time came “to pluck up what is planted.”
The ripping and tearing of this uprooting is revealing fresh dirt in my heart and hopefully God will consider that good soil for more of His loving sanctification.
I am dry and wind parched dirt
until mixed with new tears
making a muddy mess!
But He is The Master Gardener
and certainly He will plant again
in the broken soil of my heart!
"Sow with a view to righteousness,
Reap in accordance with kindness;
Break up your fallow ground,
For it is time to seek the LORD
Until He comes to rain righteousness on you." Hosea 10:12

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a beautiful family!

How blessed you were to have Tabitha's family living close for awhile.

Perhaps you will be able to take some delightful trips to Florida to visit while they are there.

I'm so glad we live in an age with easy long distance/e-mail/blogs/web-cam for easier contact with long distance loved ones.

And whenever someone moves away (we've had lots of that in the last 8 years), I'm always comforted to know that we will have all eternity together!
Anonymous said…
Eternity gives perspective!
Thanks Chris!
Anonymous said…
This one tugged at me. It smacks of a time I hope never comes for us, but can't control.

I didn't realize you were in Kansas. My grandparents and parents are from there and I spent 2 of my favorite years of childhood there. We lived in Alden, smack dab in the middle of the state. Whereabouts are you?

Go Jayhawks! (When you're not playing the Terps!)
Laurie said…
Zoanna,
You are right, we can't control these goodbyes. We homeschooled our 3 daughters and I used to jokingly say I'd like them to sign a contract that they'd never move more than 20 miles away partly so I could help them when they homeschool(hopefully) their children!
I'm a Kansas girl!
Born in Sterling.
Raised in Huthinson.
Now in Little Sweden(Lindsborg).
Come by when you're ever in the state!
Caryn said…
What great truth! Ever since I got married 9 yrs ago, I've lived in a different state from my parents. I surely miss being near them, but it makes the visits even sweeter. I think I'm gonna have my daughter sign that contract when she learns how to write!
Anonymous said…
Miss you too, Mom!!! Love you bunches.
Anonymous said…
I'm sorry you have to deal with this. That's funny what you said about your 20-mile contract. My mother says the exact same thing. So far, none of us have left for long... God bless you this Christmas, as you experience a changed home!

Popular Posts