THE BEST GIFT best sung by Barbra Steisand (No matter your opinion of Barbra, she undeniably sings like no other.)

My daughters and I love this song. We used to sing it along with Barbra every Christmas season when we listened to "The Christmas Album" by Streisand. Olivia received "The Best Gift" and just before Christmas! Listen here. (I don't know these people, but I do know the blessing of twin grandchildren!!!!) The best gift That I ever got Didn't really weigh a lot It didn't have a ribbon 'round And it sometimes made the terrible sound The best of all it seems to me It wasn't neath the Christmas tree And yet, I guess I'd have to say That it made all the other presents twice as gay The best gift that I've ever known I'd always wanted most to own Yet in my dreams of sugar and spice I never thought it could be so nice The best gift that I ever get Was sometimes dry and sometimes wet Was usually pink but oftentimes red As it lay so innocently in its bed The best gift of the year to me The one I hold most dear to me A gift that simply drove me wild Was a tiny new born child... (Please excuse anything theologically incorrect!) ALSO I highly reccomennd "My Favorite Things" sung by Striesand from the same album. The original skippy song is interpreted with melancholy soul. One of My Favorite Things!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Beautiful poem/song!
I'll definitely keep it.
You're right about Barbra's talent.
Our prayers for her and other celebrities can make a difference...
Zoanna said…
Never heard this song before, but love it. I am a Barbra fan; her voice is inimitable. Did you ever see the movie "Yentl" she starred in? About a Jewish girl who wants to be educated in the Torah so she cuts her long hair and becomes like a boy. I saw it in the 70s and thought it was great.
Anonymous said…
Yentl is a good Barbra Streisand movie! I love when she's on the boat and sings "Papa can you hear me"...
My favorite B.S. movie might be What's Up Doc. Anyway, Yes, what a voice!
LivG said…
Awww, I really did receive the best gift this Christmas!

Popular Posts