Homeschool Retrospect #4 (Frog Guts and "Whoop Whoopin" it Up For Basketball!)

Tabitha and Olivia got to take a homeschool Biology class taught by my friend, Ruth. One day after an appetizer of fried frog legs, we dissected a frog under Ruth's direction. Ick! I am blessed to have such a friend as dear Ruth who liked this sort of thing, because honestly I'd have rather done twenty English or grammar lessons and two Saxon Math lessons than take tweezers to frog guts. This same friend and her husband coached homeschool basketball which is in and of itself a signing up for a lot of dribble and much scrutiny as well as a good set-up for some sanctification if we are hip to the workings of God. There are things I would shy away from and coaching a sport would be in my top 10. But how blessed we were to have Dick and Ruth coaching as they "set the picks" for each other, learned to play defensively, played beautiful offense in some difficult days and hopefully in retrospect, came out the winners with some beautiful symbolic, as well as literal, 3 pointers to look back on! I know Christine loved being on the court and I certainly enjoyed the basketball season of my life!

Comments

TAB said…
What made you think of that mom? The frog gut dissection? Do you also remember that same day we dissected a baby pig outside and after we were done a nice discussion started ( I don't remember what about) and as the spring sun beat down on us we started smelling bacon. That's my Homeschool Retrospect #5.
Anonymous said…
Tab, I'm not sure what made me think of that.
I'm retrospective these days.
I do remember it was a pretty spring day!
How could I forget the pig and bacon?!
Except for the guts (ick!) those were some fun times!
LivG said…
Yikes, that was yuck! I don't remember making too many cuts on the poor frog or fetal pig, but I do remember the frog legs and smell of bacon. Very unappetizing. I would've much rather do some math or some English or grammar lessons also. I did however enjoy the company of friends on that lovely Spring day.
Anonymous said…
Liv-
Yes, as I remember, Ruth had too good a time with the knife!
Anonymous said…
All I have to say is, if you you want to watch someone dissect, have a blast!!! I'ts just plain GROSS to me.To each his own. Have a good day! Mom B.
Anonymous said…
I remember being fascinated by dissections in high school, but somewhere along the way, it lost its appeal by the time I was teaching biology in homeschool. A friend of mine joked one day when she came over and found us dissecting in the dining room. "Zo, I feel so at home. I thought I was the only one with a cow brain on my china hutch!"
Anonymous said…
That's funny Zoanna!
Homeschool Home Decor Magazine's Featured Article reads:
Unique and Brainy Decorating Ideas
Anonymous said…
I think it's rather gross also, Mom!
Zoanna said…
Guffawed at your magazine "head"line. We could have some fun with our retrospective feature articles.
Anonymous said…
Oh, Zoanna! "Head"line! That is good! I missed that one!!!

Popular Posts