There Comes a Time When Autumn Asks

"There comes a time when autumn asks, "What have you been doing all summer?" Anon I love Autumn for its crispness and warmth and strangely for the melancholy it evokes. These poems say more than I can. "September's Baccalaureate A combination is Of Crickets -- Crows -- and Retrospects And a dissembling Breeze That hints without assuming -- An Innuendo sear That makes the Heart put up its Fun And turn Philosopher."- Emily Dickinson, "September: it was the most beautiful of words, he’d always felt, evoking orange-flowers, swallows, and regret."- Alexander Theroux, 1981

Comments

LivG said…
I agree, couldn't have said it better myself.
I love autumn, too! Today I sat outside and listened to the wind and watched the pampas grasses blowing. When I got hungry, I picked a pear fresh off our tree and ate it, juice running down my chin. I love it!
Anonymous said…
I used to "not get" Emily Dickinson. Now I love (most) of her poems.

-Karisa

Popular Posts