Mr. Bennet

I hope to get a more thorough article from a guest blogger about Pride and Prejudice soon. I confess I have not actually read the book. I have watched the A & E production featuring Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy and Jennifer Ehle as Miss Elizabeth Bennet. The father, Mr. Bennet was acted by Benjamin Withrow. Mr Bennet said something toward end of movie which caught my attention and I quote:
"I'm heartily ashamed of myself, Lizzie. But don't despair. It shall pass and no doubt more quickly than it should."
This is a true confession of our human nature that we would be ashamed of ourselves (our words, actions, lack of words, lack of action). This seems to reflect God's discipline and grace. That we should be ashamed is right. We should feel the shame of our shortcomings and sin and benefit from God's discipline. We often feel this for quite awhile as we live with the consequences. On the other hand, there are times when we let it "pass more quickly than it should". This is surely pride and not fully benefiting from God's discipline. Or is it God hastening to our rescue so we don't live in despair? God is gracious like that and even God's discipline is grace.

Comments

Popular Posts