I can breathe in a small town

There is nothing more sad or glorious than generations changing hands. Recently I was at the home of some friends and was delighted to look through a stack of albums they are getting rid of. When I saw Scarecrow by John Mellencamp, I quickly looked to find it still had the paper record liner. I wanted to see the quote which my friend generously wrote on a little paper for me: "There is nothing more sad or glorious than generations changing hands." I am able to think of things more sad, but there is truth in this sentiment. We owned the album Scarecrow and we have a VHS home movie of Tabitha and Olivia dancing to Rain on the Scarecrow and Small Town. I have not personally posted anything on Youtube, but Here is a youtube video of Rain on the Scarecrow by Mellencamp. It is so 80s that it is embarrassing! And here is Small Town. Small Town. Now that's a song I can relate to! I unashamedly admit that I am so small town! This afternoon after spending too long driving downtown Wichita trying to find the entrance to the interstate which leads me home, I remembered again why I am so small town. I kept muttering, "I hate Wichita." When we finally got out of that city and drove into the parking space at Cracker Barrel, I laughed out loud at how small town I really am. I laughed because I was out of the city and could breathe a little deeper and I knew Cracker Barrel had captured more customers on some small town, old country feeling! There we sat at Cracker Barrel which tries to be "small town" though it is a big "off the interstate" restarant chain with antique decor, an old country store and lines of rocking chairs (for sale) and at least two checker boards setting the stage in the long covered entry of this old timey feel restaurant. Cracker Barrel sells itself as an "old country store". And judging from the parking lot, we are buying it! When we finally drove into our hometown and got to the intersection of the two main streets, Main and Lincoln, I laughed again because it is so small town that the Main Street is laid -by -hand brick and the peskiest traffic is either folks on bicycles I may have to slow down even more for, or the Bethany Retirement Home trolley full of residents going slower than the norm. I know, "Another boring romantic, that's me." I love this place!

Comments

Popular Posts