On Our Sunday Drive

Mike and I have taken Sunday drives for as long as I can remember. No, we haven't gone each and every
Sunday, Amen!, but this summer we've been almost ritualistic about it!
While some folks may be ritualistic about Sunday naps (understandably), it's Sunday Drives for us!
Here are some pictures of our latest Sunday drive:
Wild sunflowers by a mailbox and wagon wheel railing.
Salemsborg Luthren Church is a building we often pass. It is set off a county highway and the scenic route to the closest small city.
We decided to stop and take some photographs. This is the back of the building which has a cemetery in the yard.
Here is the front of the church building. Isn't it a beauty?
An inscription on a piece of granite above a door
The same inscription in Swedish
Here is a cornerstone that says:
"Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone"
And a bronze plaque recording the three other chuch buildings that have stood here but were rebuilt for various reasons. I suppose the first rebuild was surely an update from the original sod building built in 1869!
The Plaque reads:
 1869 The Sod Church
     1874 The Frame Church
   1898 The Spire Church
            1926 The Two Tower Church
Do you or your family have any Sunday "rituals" like a certain activity, a food or something?

Comments

LivG said…
Love the pictures! That church is a beauty!
Laurel said…
What great pictures! I love sunflowers and churches, and you got some terrific pictures of both.
TAB said…
Those are some great pictures! Especially of the plaque and inscriptions on the church.
I wish you could have gone inside the church. The stain-glass windows are awesome! My favorite is the one in the Pastor's office that depicts the different kinds of soil that the sower sowed on.
Laurie said…
Ruth-
I have never seen inside this building that we drive by so regularly! One of these times I must! I'm sure you got much aquainted with it during your many recent years of being the "cleaning lady"! I'm glad you've been able to "retire" the cleaning job.
I think you'll enjoy the beautiful structure even more now?
Chris said…
What a happy life you have!

For a few months we had a silly ritual. Every Sunday after church we would go to Auntie Ann's at the mall for a pretzel.

I will have to think more about this and see if there are any others...
Laurie said…
Chris-
Aunt Ann's Pretzels! Yum! I think I could get very ritualistic about Aunt Ann's Pretzels, that does not sound like a silly at all!

Popular Posts