On Our Sunday Drive



Maybe writing about Sunday drives seems odd. Maybe it is odd, but these drives are a sweet joy at the start of a new week.
Mike and I took our drive via country roads out to Kanopolis State Lake. One highlight was stopping at the Smoky Hill Trading Post. When we used to go to this lake almost every weekend to camp when I was a kid, we stopped at the same store except then it was called "The Dam Sandwich Shop". It's aptly named being located so close to the dam, but my brothers and I loved the name of the shop because we liked the way "The Dam Sandwich Shop" sounded naughty. About 5 years ago it got a new name and new owners. The little shop sells boater, camper, hunter and Sunday Drivers' needs. As a kid I remember peering with some awe at an alligator in a cage outside the Dam Sandwich Shop. The alligator had been found either in the lake or the Smoky Hill River. It was a novelty! I wonder whatever happened to the alligator.
Here are some notable highlights from our drive:
1. We saw 4 deer today including a buck, a doe and a fawn.
2. Sumac, Goldenrod, Locusts, Elms, Cottonwoods, Ashes and various vines and shrubs with leaves that have turned vibrant reds, oranges and yellows are in showing off brilliant color. I love lime green hedge apples!
3. I'm just gonna say, "You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl!" I miss the 45 acres we used to live on. There are good reasons we now live in town, but I never cease being thrilled at the sight of rolling hills, native grasses that shimmer, roll and wave in the Kansas breezes and I'll never tire of seeing pastures with cattle and miles of empty grassland. It was balm to soak up the beauty of these today.
4. You know you live in town when you get in the car to take country drives! We didn't take as many country drives when we lived in the country!
5. We saw a covey of quail rise up and take flight from the road's edge.
6. God placed some gorgeous, colorful sandstone in this area!
7. As we drove home on Highway 4, I looked for "The Question Mark Pond", a picturesque pond which when viewed from the high road looks like the shape of a question mark without the dot. Maybe one of these times I'll take a photo so you can see it too!
8. On a sandstony country road, Mike found a pair of sunglasses that are perfect for him.
9. When we were at the lake we drove around some weekend cabins and permanent dwellings. There is a small well kept trailer park there that has street names like: Vodka Avenue, Scotch Lane and Whiskey Road. It didn't look like a party lot on Sunday afternoon, but maybe it tells a different story Saturday nights!
10. It was a mild and warm day with God's loving care shining in His creation; the rolling hills and grasses below and a half moon visible in the sky above.
Blessings indeed!
I took this photo few years back when we lived on those 45 acres. This was taken from our deck. I snapped the picture, but God gave the beautiful rainbow promise!

Comments

Laurie,
When I was a kid I also spent a great deal of time at Kanapolis. That was our weekend "thing" - camping at the Lake. I remember the Dam Sandwich Shop (yes, I was one of those that snickered) and I definitely remember the alligator. Do you think there is a possibility that at some moment we might have seen each other all those year ago? Who woulda guessed then. . . . . .
Oh Yeah, and tell Mike I think Dick lost his sunglasses on just such a road. . . .LOL!
Laurie said…
Yes, I betcha we did see each other, maybe at that Dam Sandwich Shop looking at the alligator! That's fun to think of!
Ha! Yeah right, I'm sure those are the sunglasses Dick lost! ;)
Anonymous said…
Ah, Kanopolis. We went a couple times when I was a girl. (Only lived 2 yrs in KS, but Kanopolis was "the" spot to hit on a hot summer day. I don't remember the Dam Sandwich Shop. Daddy was a preacher; maybe that's why:).

I think you should keep up your Sunday Drive posts. It's a way for me to revisit Kansas thru your lovely descriptions. I was thinking the other day what name I'd go by if I were to rename myself after a part of nature. It would be Sky, for the great Kansas sky.
zz said…
That was me, guess you figured. I thought I hit the right button.
LivG said…
I really need to take a drive on Sundays too, but I don't think the kids would be quite as fun company:(
Laurie said…
Zoanna (Sky) I'm glad you like! It's such a treat to meet someone who understands the beauty of Kansas and yes, the sky is such a treat over the praries, fields and hills!
No, I don't suppose your Preacher Pa would be seen at the D.S.S.!

Liv- Drives when kids are young are taken in proportion to how long they can endure (Or is that how long the parents can endure?) or how long till they (the kids) fall asleep in the car!
LivG said…
I wish they would fall asleep in the car! That would make it much more enjoyable.

Popular Posts