I Can Tell You How To Get

... how to get to Reformatory Street

because I lived there until I was about 5 or 6 years old. Our house sat on a wide street on a block of about 10 houses and at one end of the street was the entrance to the Reformatory. See the guard tower? The noon whistle would blow each day and it seems like each day I had to make a conscious effort to trust that the whistle was blowing because it was noon and not because a horrible prisoner had escaped and was heading my direction. Even with the perceived ever present threat of danger the time of my childhood living on Reformatory Street was a special time.

*I remember sharing mumps and measles with my older brother (Maybe that doesn't sound so special, but our Mom knew how to make our sicknesses seem almost like a treat with all her TLC!)

*I remember getting a baby brother, playing paper dolls with my neighbor, having to get my tonsils out, staying clear, but wanting to be part of the fun when my older brother and his buddies were having dirt clod war or cruising down the school sidewalk with skateboards.

*I remember my Grandma coming home from a visit to Ohio wearing a pretty red hat.

*I remember my Aunt Arlene and Uncle Doyle coming for a visit and the spank my Aunt gave me for disobeying her during our weekend at the lake when I went down to the water's edge without asking. (It's funny how I remember that and how her love for me and the danger I must have been in spoke volumes!) I adored and respected her even more than I already did after that spankin!

*I remember my Mom and Dad loving me and giving me sweet security.

*I remember Vernie, a young man who lived in our basement for awhile. He was like an uncle, except he "sided with my Dad" and "made me" eat my mashed potatoes at a particular mealtime.

*One day I sat on my neighbor girl, Deena's front steps. She was telling me about her supper called "sloppy joes". I thought she was makin it up and couldn't quite imagine what they were. It was quite a few years later until I had my first sloppy joe!

*We had a very small grocery shop about 5 blocks from our house. Whenever Grandma and I would walk to the store, she'd let me walk on the house curbs some 3 to 5 feet from the sidewalk. When I got tired of that, I'd hold her hand and walk with her, or skip along.

*The store had a pop machine that was like a carousel. The pop bottles were in a cooler and hung by a revolving "chain" and after you'd plopped in your 15 cents, you could open the lid, the revolving would stop and you could pick your pop! Strawberry Crush was always a treat!

*Another treat was the frozen pond in front of the Reformatory open for ice skaters in the winter. I remember skidding on the ice. They have since closed this aspect of the prison. These are random remembrances. There are many more. I am surprised of memories from so young. They are mostly sweet ones.

There's really no reason to go there, but I can tell you how to get to Reformatory Street.

Comments

LivG said…
This was fun to read. It reminded me of when I was little and you would tuck me into bed and I would ask you to tell me a story of when you were a little girl!
Jill said…
Ah, such sweet childhood memories, makes me a bit teary-eyed; sad to say, but I don't have near as many memories and have trouble coming up those stories when asked by my kids! Makes my heart glad to hear of such happy times!!
Jill said…
P.S. That would have been a little scarry living that close to the reformatory!! I remember being scarred to death when the noon whistle would blow in first grade, thinking it was a warning to take shelter in a bomb shelter, fearing the war going on in Vietnam was coming state-side! Do you have memories of practicing bomb drills in elementary school? Scarry for kids but I suppose needed! Not needed this day and age as the bombs would most likely be nuclear with no way to hide from that under your desk!
Laurie said…
Liv- I suppose those "exciting" stories would lull you to sleep... then there was always dot-dot-dash!
Laurie said…
Jill-
Yes I remember bomb drills, tornado and fire drills! It was frightening as a kid! I always hoped I would be home when the real thing happened, and I was pretty sure it would happen, and that all the test drills in the world would still not make us ready for impending catastrophe!
Laurel said…
I find it amazing that you have so many memories from early childhood, Laurie. Very sweet!
I hadn't realized that you grew up in Hutch. I showed the pics to Jonathan and clarified that yes, it was *that* reformatory. Thanks for sharing the memories!
Laurie said…
Laurel-
Yep Hutch is my hometown. It is funny that I can remember so many things from back then... but I may have a hard time remembering what I had for dinner yesterday!
I sometimes think my young childhood was so sweet, almost idyllic, so I remember things. (Okay, "idyllic: may be a stretch, but those were happy times)... not that other times weren't happy or now isn't happy, but, my childhood was a fun time and place! It goes with that idea of "Ya don't know what you've got, till it's gone."
So, appreciation or thankfulness may come late, but hopefully it comes and when it does there are so many facets as I look back!
TAB said…
Your memories are crystal clear. I am amazed. I have memories that are pretty vivid but I think I shared those with you when we were there last....hmmm.
Thanks for sharing those sweet memories with us.
Laurie said…
Tab- I love hearing memories of yours and Liv's!
I love your memories. Jill and Laurie, I too remember the bomb drills - they were scary!
One of my favorite memories is when I was six and we moved to Kansas, I had my first Mountain Dew. It was at my grandpa's business and the pop machine kept the pop so cold that there were ice crystals floating in it. My dad let me have an icy cold bottle of this brand new pop all to myself. I remember feeling special! and loving the taste.
Laurie said…
Yep! Yahoo Mountain Dew! Such sweet memories, Ruth!

Popular Posts