Strangers, Love and the Bond of Christ

This song has to do with communion (bread and wine), and communion with our brothers and sisters in Christ. I love the words and sentiment. I couldn't find the author, Rich Mullins, performing, but this group does a nice job! Peace of Christ to you. Though we're strangers, still I love you I love you more than your mask And you know you have to trust this to be true And I know that's much to ask But lay down your fears, come and join this feast He has called us here, you and me And may peace rain down from Heaven Like little pieces of the sky Little keepers of the promise Falling on these souls This drought has dried In His Blood and in His Body In the Bread and in this Wine Peace to you Peace of Christ to you And though I love you, still we're strangers Prisoners in these lonely hearts And though our blindness separates us Still His light shines in the dark And His outstretched arms are still strong enough to reach Behind these prison bars to set us free So may peace rain down from Heaven Like little pieces of the sky Little keepers of the promise Falling on these souls the drought has dried In His Blood and in His Body In this Bread and in this Wine Peace to you Peace of Christ to you And may peace rain down from Heaven Like little pieces of the sky Like those little keepers of the promise Falling on these souls the draught has dried In His Blood and in His Body In the Bread and in this Wine Peace to you Peace of Christ to you Peace to you Peace of Christ to you

Comments

Zoanna said…
Rich Mullins is my all-time favorite singer/songwriter. I was privileged to see him twice in concert. A poet and a prophet he was, he had a profound effect on my thinking about God and how much He loves us, sins and all.
I am not as familiar w/ this song as most of his others, but it is beautiful. Thanks for tying it to what I wrote about why I don't do Facebook. (Yet, anyway.)
Anonymous said…
Since Rich was a Kansas boy while attending Friends University in Wichita, Mike and I were able to attend many of his concerts close to us. We were on our way to his concert when his death was announced on the radio. It was unbelievable as those announcements are.
After reading your post, Mike reminded me of something he said at one of his concerts. It was something like, "People sometimes come up to me and say they feel like they know me after listening to my songs. I just say, 'I only show a part of me. If you really knew me, you wouldn't like me.'" (The 'Peace of Christ' song and that quote seemed to go with some of your thoughts on facebook etc.,)
We always appreciated Rich's honesty and the way he seemed to understand and appreciate God's mercy and grace to sinners!
Anyway, I'm not so sure he was a prophet, but he was a great songwriter and did have a gift for communicating God's love and grace!
LivG said…
Oh, how I miss that man's music!

I need to dig out my CDs and listen to some good ol' Rich Mullins! It's been a while.
TAB said…
That has got to be one of my all time favorite Rich Mullins song. I miss him. What a time he must be having in Glory!
TAB said…
Who is the group singing his song?
Anonymous said…
I don't know who is singing this song!
Anonymous said…
Your blog always has such beautiful devotions to start the day with...
Anonymous said…
We had the chance to see one of his concerts in Meadville, PA. I won the tickets by answering a trivia question for a radio station. It was a really special time. I agree with you about his honesty in his songs and in what he said to the audience between songs. Often we think of great songwriters like Mullins as superspiritual Christians who have it all together. He was honest enough to share the temptations and shortcomings that everyone deals with. I can see why people would say they felt like they knew him. When we heard of his death, it was like losing a friend or a brother.

One of the reasons that I have facebook is so I can post things like this. I know lots of people who have facebook who don't really read personal blogs.
Laurie said…
Chris~
I wholeheartedly agree about Rich Mullin's honesty and temptations. There was a transparency, a needieness and a love for the body of Christ that always came through when he wove stories together.
The choirs of heaven...!
Oh blissful thought!

Popular Posts