"Full of Earth and Stained with Dirt"

Christine got the David Crowder Band B Collision Cd for Christmas and she has graciously surrendered it to the car stereo for now. Between silences, radio station scanning and car conversation it’s what we are listening to. The music is pleasing in a folksy/ rocky/ blue grassy with a touch of praise and worship music thrown in sort of way. The banjo is used in a non-traditional bluegrass style at times and I find it’s treble tones vibrantly complimentary to the bass sounds. Today I said to Christine, “Okay, I want to hear the first two songs one more time, then we can listen to something else if you want.” Christine answered, “No. It’s okay. We can keep listening. I know you really like it.” (She’s sweet like that.) So we hear the first two songs again and keep the Cd playing until I can’t get the second song (Wholly Yours) out of my head and go back to hear it again... (I realize this song doesn't feature the banjo like some others do!) I listen to the music satisfied, then I begin to analyze the lyrics and the music fades to my thoughts. I know that words seem never to go far enough in expressing our thoughts, especially about God, but 'Holy' is a word He surely loves hearing His saints singing in praise of His holiness! As I drive around the winter world no longer covered in transforming snow, undressed of leaves and green I sing out loud: (not all lyrics are written below, but here's a sampling!) I am full of earth. You are heaven's worth. I am stained with dirt, Prone to depravity You are everything That is bright and clean The antonym of me You are divinity… But the harder I try The more clearly can I Feel the depth of our fall And the weight of it all. And so this might could be The most impossible thing: Your grandness in me making me clean… I want to be holy like you are… I am wholly, wholly, wholly yours. And as I sing I think of the truly awesome antonym of Divinity and Me! The praise of His holiness In the earth and dirt The thought of being wholly His. (How could I stop myself from singing!) We are listening to B Collision, but here's the same song from the A Collision album:

Comments

KP said…
The lyrics are very true. I know I am just saying the obvious, but while I am at it: it is a cool song too, as is catchy.

There's someone in my extended family who once told me, that listening to a song once, is enough. I agree, but only as long as the song isn't good.
LivG said…
Great song! Very easy listening!
Anonymous said…
Karston,
YES! There are songs to listen to only once, but not the good ones! There are also songs we'd have been fine to have never ever heard or wonder why we keep hearing!
Anonymous said…
I love the clever and poignant lyrics . This band has a unique sound that I like.

Popular Posts