I doppin, Mommy! I doppin! I all dum now!

God made kids cute for a reason. Maybe it is so ungodly parental wrath can be extinguished against them when their naughtiness makes us so mad!!! When Mommies say, “I said to “stop it! You need to be done. Now, go to your room. I’ll be right in.” Oftentimes the 1 to 3 year old will say, “I doppin, Mommy. I doppin. I all dum now. No pankin me.” (These are recent words from the mouths of my grandchildren.) The kids are cute and the babyish words they say are cute, but a child's cuteness does not nullify justice, though sometimes parental mercy is extended. It is NOT cute when kids disobey and take chances with mercy. Adults do the same in a slightly more sophisticated way when we take chances, as it were, with God’s mercy and grace and we hold out or prolong repentance then finally say, “I’m stopping. I’m all done. Please have mercy.” How it pleases a parent when children give 1st time and 100% obedience. How it must please God when His children do the same!

Comments

Anonymous said…
That is so cute. I have often thought the same thing--how kids' cuteness melts our hearts and draws us to give them the love and attention they need, as well as the mercy, as you noticed, too.

Your comparison to our need for obedience to God--sometimes it does not always seem so clear to us what God actually wants. Of course, for some things it is perfectly clear--the 10 Commandments for example. But for some things, we seem to wrestle with determining whether we should or shouldn't--can or can't.

I wonder if it's the same for kids. Do they sometimes wonder what we really want them to do or not do?
Laurie said…
Umm. Good question! I've often thought there are so many obvious things we know God wants that if we'd faithfully do those things we'd be less likely to have time to stray or wonder about the things we're not so sure about!

One of the hardest things about parenting is to nail down what our fair expectations and goals for our children are, keep them continually in our minds, then parent accordingly even when it is difficult! It is less difficult when we keep the goal (Love for God's gifts, (our children) obedience etc.), in mind!
Zoanna said…
Well said. Love the cute things they say.

Popular Posts