A,B,C's Floating in Space

One year I worked as a teacher's aide with a group of 6-8 year old children who had various learning or behavioral problems. A little girl named Jackie was one of the students. Her dull brown eyes were partly hidden under a mop of thick dark brown hair. I was assigned to help her with the daily task of writing her name. Most days she could write "J-a." On a good day, she would write "J-a-c." When she did this all by herself the letters were rarely written in the correct order or direction and they were never on a line. They seemed to float in space similar to the space in Jackie's mind. Every day was the same monotonous task. Like wanting the basketball to make it into the hoop, wanting a toddler to take the first step...then the next step without falling, or wanting the stuttering person to be able to finish the sentence, I wanted Jackie not only to spell her name completely, but to understand the letters had meaning; When put together, the letters could make her name! I wanted it for her and for me I wanted it, but in that year Jackie never wrote past J-a-c. I remember thinking that she could sit there for 10 years and write only J-a-c no matter how much I wanted her to write J-a-c-k-i-e and make the connections. No matter how I encouraged, cheered or willed it, she would only look at me with sad, dull, brown eyes then offer a weak smile that said, "This is all." And that was it. Jackie didn't get frustrated. She was mild and disinterested. 
If I could write a song I'd write one for Jackie. I wonder where she is and if she can write her name. I wonder if she knows any silly songs or soulful songs. I wonder if as a child she ever knew the comforts of warm freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies waiting for her after school, looking at books or singing on Mommy's lap and the comforts of a loving home. I wonder if she knows the Savior. Knowing Jesus outweighs knowing all the letters A-Z in order, on the line or in a combination spelling Jackie. I look back and wish I could take her on my lap and as in a prayer sing her a song and tell her about Jesus. I'd sing her the "Jesus Alphabet Song,". I wouldn't mind if she didn't know a 'J' from an 'a' or any of the letters A-Z. I'd just sit with her on my lap and we would sway and I would sing : 
"A-B-C-D-E-F-G, Jesus died for you and me
H-I-J-K-L-M-N, Jesus died for sinful men, AMEN! 
O-P-Q-R-S-T-U, I believe God's word is true, 
V and W, God has promised you X-Y-Z ... A home eternally."

Comments

Karen said…
this post just made me cry. thank you for sharing.
Laurie said…
Karen, Thank you for reading this post and for visiting my blog!
I'm glad you were touched by this story of sweet Jackie.

Popular Posts