Genius Perception? or He Ordains and in His LOVE?

Recently Mike and I again began watching the video series by R.C. Sproul entitled What is Reformed Theology? which is what spurred me on to thinking about God's Sovereignty again and some more! In the 2nd segment Sproul made some statements that caused my mind and heart to do some serious "high fiving" as I scrambled for the remote controller, pushed pause, looked at Mike and said, "Amen!" (I actually said much more than 'Amen' , but virtually that is what my words could be boiled down to!) Maybe you had to be there, but here is the "Amen" part for me: "If someone were to say to me, 'R.C., what do you believe is the most distinctive aspect of reformed theology?' I won't hesitate to answer that question by saying, Oh it's our Doctrine of God." (His absolute Sovereignty) "All Christians have a basically orthodox creedal affirmation about the character of God, but what I think happens frequently in other theologies is that when the attention is diverted to another doctrine there is a tendency to forget your affirmation about the character of God and the Doctrine of God is just one of many doctrines of the faith rather than the CONTROLLING doctrine of the faith. For example, I've never met a Christian in my life who looked me in the eye and said, "I don't believe God is sovereign."... Christians characteristically are quite willing to affirm the sovereignty of God ... But are we saying the same thing? Are we saying God knows all things because He has some "genius perception" or are we saying He knows all things because He ORDAINS all things? What is the relationship of His Sovereignty to His knowledge? In reformed theology we constantly test our doctrine by going back to our fundamental understanding of the character of God. And I really think that is the central unique factor of reformed theology is that it is RELENTLESSLY committed to maintaining the purity of the Doctrine of God through every other element of our theology." So the thing that causes me to shout "Amen!" is the way that Sproul nails what is the distinctive of reformed theology: (My Paraphrase:) God is Sovereign not merely because He has genius perception, but because He does ordain all things. There is good purpose "God purpose" for all things and the purpose is ultimately for His glory. Maybe this raises more questions for some, but for me there is comfort, security and rest in this truth. I get excited about and love that God is Sovereign. He is Lord! He is Love!

IN LOVE he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth. In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. Ephesians 1:5-12

Acts 2:23

Acts 4:27

Comments

Anonymous said…
That is a great teaching series.

And this was a great post.

KP
Bill and Chris said…
I read Sproul's book Chosen by God and I think he does a wonderful job of explaining reformed theology and clearing up many of the misconceptions that are said about it by non- reformed teachers.

Also, you are right when you say that there are many who say God is Sovereign but who also say he does not predestine us before we are born. This is said very frequently in the non-reformed churches I have been a part of.
Anonymous said…
KP
Have I mentioned how I appreciate R.C. Sproul?
Oh, I do.
Anonymous said…
Chris
I love that good point Sproul makes!

Popular Posts