Wine Theme: Two Hymns and an Invitation to Sing Along!

From the previous quote in the post below, I was thinking of hymns we sing with references to wine and the beauty of the words:
(I'm sure there are more I can't think of just now. Can you?)

"O I am my Beloved’s
And my Beloved is mine!
He brings a poor vile sinner
Into His house of wine
I stand upon His merit -
I know no other stand,
Not e’en where glory dwelleth
In Immanuel’s land"
(From "Immanuel's Land", words by Anne R. Cousin
We sing it to this tune. No offense to our little flock, but I don't think we sound quite like this choir...except to the ears of God!

Honestly I love the sound of the tunes sung by our church gathering!


Also- "Here, O our Lord" (words below)  sung to the tune of "Abide with Me".
We sing it a bit more upbeat, but isn't it pretty?



1 Here, O our Lord, we see Thee face to face,
Here would we touch and handle things unseen,
Here grasp with firmer hand eternal grace,
And all our weariness upon You lean.

2 We have no help but Yours, nor do we need
Another arm save Yours to lean upon.
It is enough, my Lord, enough indeed;
Our strength is in Your might, Your might alone.

3 This is the hour of banquet and of song;
This is the heavenly table for us spread;
Here let us feast and, feasting, still prolong
The fellowship of living wine and bread.

4 Too soon we rise; the symbols disappear.
The feast, though not the love, is past and gone;
The bread and wine remove; but You art here,
Nearer than ever, still our Shield and Sun.

5 Feast after feast thus comes and passes by;
Yet, passing, points to that glad feast above,
Giving sweet foretaste of the festal joy,
The Lamb’s great bridal feast of bliss and love.

 written by Horatius Bonar who is one of Mike's favorite hymn writers

Comments

Chris said…
Beautiful!

I love the sound of a handful of people singing--love it when we do it in small group. At old group in Erie we sang all the time. Here it never happens--kind of miss that.

Occasionally in church we sing a capella, which is also beautiful...
TAB said…
I agree, singing acapella is beautiful in church. It's just not done often enough!

Those are beautiful songs.
Laurel said…
Immanuel's Land is one of my all time favorites. Hmmm... I think I feel a post coming on...

I am not familiar with "Here, O My Lord, I See Thee," but reading the words was a blessing!

I think they used Hymns and Worship and Remembrance (the black book) and Hymns of Truth and Praise (the red book) when you went to the Gospel Chapel in Hutch. You might enjoy this site - http://www.saintsserving.net -they have many of the hymns from those two books recorded in four-part (a capella) harmony that you can download for free. They also have the separate parts recorded for helping folks learn the music. Many great hymns of the faith that any believer would appreciate, but for me, they are extra special, as those are the hymn books of my childhood.

Got a bit long-winded there... nice to know this is a safe place for that. :-)
Laurie said…
Laurel-
Oh thank you! What a valuable site! I looked up "Satisfied With Thee Lord Jesus" in the "black book" and sang out loud!The same books are special to me as they were what we used at the chapel when I went as a new believer! Oh, the theology taught in many of the old hymns! And the scripture songs! What a blessing! We have a copy of the red hymnal, the black book and the blue book! (and two sets of cds that were made from the blue book. An older set w/ Steve B. and a newer one w/ Andrew H.. Two "interpretive" styles!) I'm sure we add another interpretation! Tab used to say sometimes when we'd sing, "That's not the way we sang it at camp!" And we'd say, "It's the way we learned it at the Chapel." So I wonder if we sing the songs in a mix of camp/chapel/Mike? I don't know! We use many songs from the blue book, black book and red hymnal in our meetings (except we've compiled our faves and added others, and continue to add more (a few written by Mike) into a Purple Book (like the blue book except it's plastic.) We use a red hymnal, but it's the Trinity Hymnal.
Talk about long-winded! But yes, in safety!

Popular Posts