I'm Just Sayin...

Coffee Shop Talk
and
"What's With The Size Of These Tables?"

We went to a coffee shop with some friends awhile back. The coffee shop has tables that are too small unless lovers share them who don’t consider anything between them much of an obstacle to affection. To give a size comparison, think of a basketball hoop diameter. (Mike helped with that size comparison.) I suppose the thought is that the undersized tables lend themselves to intimate conversation because you must gather around closely. But that is not the effect for me. Maybe if we took table size alone into consideration we’d gather round and speak in hushed tones, but real-sized men (and women) sit at these dainty tables; folks who would like to put their elbows on the table and lean in. It’s a coffee shop for goodness sake, we should get comfortable! Some folks bring paperwork, read the newsparer, write poetry or letters, and need room to spread out. But not on these tables where there is barely room for one paperback and a latte! Forget spreading out. I probably just don’t get it, but I always thought coffee shops were designed, at least in part, for fellowship and fellowship requires some elbow room and table space. Then there is the over stimulation. Over stimulation happens. There is the action with customers coming and going, pieces of overheard conversations floating on the edges and other distracting commotion. Most of us can process only one conversation at a time. I’m rambling, I know. Senseless it must seem. My point? I’m just sayin… "I'll have a regular latte and some elbow room, please."

Comments

zo said…
I agree. It's one thing to touch knees or play footsies with YOUR man, but being forced by proximity to do the same with your best friend's husband's knees? Creepy.

I think the business rationale must be "smaller tables, more customers". But this isn't France. We AMericans like our space.
TAB said…
Too funny! If I did frequent coffe shops I would totally feel the same way!
I wonder if it comes from being in Kansas - the wide open spaces - it makes us "need" our space. Do you think people on the east coast feel the same way? They're used to being elbow-to-elbow and overhearing each other all the time.
How about Texans -imagine the size of table they would require????
Laurie said…
Ruth, It just may be a state/spatial issue!
I imagine BIG tables in Texas! I hear things "are bigger and better" in Texas! Ha!
Yep there is a "need" for some elbow room, I assume it's universal, however maybe one gets accustomed to elbow-to-elbow?
Laurie said…
Zoanna,
We were in Florida once and the restaurant had ONLY big tables to share. I kind of froze for a minute thinking of the spatial and privacy issue... (I actually wanted to bolt!) But we stayed and the experience was fine, pleasant and broadening (especially after dessert!) As far as I know all knees and feet respected their boundries!
There's an uppity restaurant (I mean there WAS) an uppity restaurant in town that had a shared table mentality. It's no longer open.

Seems like I took a little tangent, and maybe sounded like a snob. I like people. I do! I just don't want to feel compelled to be friendly or get to know strangers when I'm trying to enjoy my too expensive meal!
Laurie, you are so cute! Needing privacy does not make you a snob. We all have our times when we have the "energy" to associate and other times when we need privacy and the space to regroup. And I seriously don't know anyone who enjoys having intimacy thrust upon them by a too small table or too crowded restaurant.
zz said…
To Just Passing Through--I live on the east coast. What's really funny is how many of our acquaintances and friends from KS (where I used to live) think everyone on the east coast is jammed together like this is New York City. In fact, some people in KS couldn't find Maryland on a map, it's just "somewhere on the east coast." I can assure you we, too, like big spaces, we just tend to put bigger houses on smaller lots. Restaurants that lack legroom between tables are not in business very long. It's an AMerican thing. People of different cultures vary in their perceived sense of spatial "need." WE are a spoiled lot in AMerica, whether from KS, MD, or TX.

Popular Posts