Sometimes it Hurts Like a Mother

Sometimes it hurts like a daughter.
As I was getting ready for the day this morning, I was listening to a song by Cindy Morgan called Mother. The lyrics reminded me of how precious and at times awkward is the mother/daughter relationship.
Believe it or not as I was writing the above statement, my daughter Christine, came walking into the office where I'm typing and said, "I want you to know something." (I instantly thought, "uh-oh",) but then she said, "I love you and I'm happy."
I'm not kidding! Those were her exact words! Talk about timing!! (If she hadn't begun her statement as she was walking in, I may have thought she saw my subject. But there was not time for that!)
I had been musing over the mother/daughter relationship and here Christine comes in with this random statement. Is God so good?
I guess I could stop writing at this point, but I'm going to try to express a tiny fraction of what I've been thinking because it is complex and hard to capture in words.
Since I am a daughter, have became a mother of 3 daughters (one adopted) and then a grandmother and have enjoyed a relationship with my own mother, shared with friends their joys or stuggles in these very relationships, have had friends who have lost daughters or mothers to death or have been estranged by misunderstandings, the mother:daughter-daughter:mother relationship has been intriguing to me.
There is much to say as this relationship is very complex, but let me finish by saying that as Mothers, let us consider, love and pray for our daughters diligently. As daughters, let us do the same for our Mothers. Call your mom or daughter if you haven't in awhile. "Love one another."

Comments

LivG said…
Mom, I love you too!

Have you heard the John Mayer song Daughters?

I heard it today and was actually thinking about the same types of things...mother-daughter, father-son, father-daughter, mother-son relationships.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder. And I do love you so much!
Caryn said…
Great Encouragement!

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment on my blog. Your comments have been kind and encouraging. I don't have lots of time to blog and when I do I usually have time to add a post to my own and not much time to visit others as I would like to. But I'll try to visit yours as much as I can.

May God's favor continue to cover you!

Popular Posts