"Blogging" Beats Talking to Myself in the Mirror!

I semi-follow a blog called 22 Words. The author is Abraham Piper. His is a creative blog and each post, excluding the title, is exactly 22 words in length.
Of course reading 22 words does not consume much time.
Very creative.
This post is already more than 44 words! I wish I could say I was doubly brilliant for using 44 words, but I continue and exceed even 44 words! (Wait! Maybe 11 Words would be doubly brilliant!)
Just recently Abraham asked his readers (in 22 words) to comment if they were followers of his blog. When I noticed 213 folks had commented, I thought, I certainly don't need to comment. How can a man remain humble with so many comments?! I did comment, however, and a few days later I noticed the commenter count on his blog was up to 500 some! Amazing!
Mike and I were looking at his blog together then I showed him my blog. When I asked Mike, "So why do I even blog?" He answered, "Blogging beats talking to yourself in the mirror, although you might get a comment if you talk to yourself in the mirror."
My husband, a carpenter by trade, hit the nail on the head!
I've often questioned why I blog.
I'm positively sure it is not because I'm creative, brilliant or pithy and brief. I don't hold a sign reading "Will Blog For Comments".
I blog because ... well because ... crickets chirping in background... (so I ask Mike again) and he says, "It's an outlet." And I ask, "An outlet for what?" (this time he takes much longer to answer) knuckles cracking in background...Then he reminds me of John Boy Walton from the Walton's Homecoming who "just had to write all the things that got all bottled up in his mind". I think, Yeah, but John Boy hid his Big Chief tablet of thoughts under his mattress. I wonder why. John Boy was not ashamed of what he wrote. He wanted to be a writer. Right? People read writer's writings. Then I muse. If he could have, surely he would have blogged. So I just answer, "Yeah. Okay. Thanks." (And I sincerely mean it.) ... and publish another post of not-so-secret thoughts.

Comments

LivG said…
I understand where you are coming from and I totally agree. I blog just because. I guess I need it in a way. Even if no one else cares it makes me happy and I enjoy reading your blog even if I don't always comment.

Oh you and your John Boy and the Walton's!
Anonymous said…
Ahem. I blog and it's not enough for me. I stopped trying to use my mattress a long time ago. Now I stash the notebooks and papers in my bookshelf and in my closet.
...So I wonder if John Boy really would be happy with just a blog? I've never seen the show so I can't know.
Laurie said…
Good point, Karisa.
A blog may not have sufficed.
The real John Boy (Earl Hamner Jr.) went on to publish a life-story novel which the Walton's was based on, called Spencer's Mountain. He may not have been prolific in comparison to some, but he did write 8 novels, some screenplays and teleplays. His advice to aspiring writers was: "Writing is all about rewriting".
You must see the Walton's Homecoming. It is very Depression era-ish and has a sweet and sentimental appeal. I'm going to fetch our copy so you can see it soon if you'd like.
tsbjf said…
I'm with Olivia, I blog just because. Joy got me into it actually, and someone else had gotten her into it. So I guess it helps us relatives & friends keep up with each other since we live so far away.
Lance said…
Hi Laurie. I stumbled upon your blog at 22 Words.

I blog because it's a healthy outlet for sharing my personal concerns and God's mercies in my life.

And I agree with your husband.

This is a wonderful reminder for bloggers:

http://www.worshipmatters.com/2005/11/blogging-to-worship-god-part-2/

Popular Posts